Some general considerations for when and how to take Xalatan include the following:
- This medication comes as a solution, which means that it does not need to be shaken before use. It is usually taken once a day in the evening.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before using Xalatan.
- Gently pull your lower eyelid down with a finger (most people find that their middle fingers work best) to create a small pocket. Without actually touching the dropper to the eye, squeeze the bottle to place one drop into the lower eyelid.
- Alternatively, you can contact the manufacturer for Xal-Ease™, a free eye drop applicator device that can help you administer the drops more easily (ask your healthcare provider how to get Xal-Ease or visit the Web site for Xalatan for more information).
- If you use other eye drops, make sure to separate Xalatan and your other eye drops by at least five minutes.
- Keep the bottle free of contamination by avoiding touching the tip to anything, including your eye, hands, or any surfaces.
- If you wear contacts, remove them before using Xalatan and wait at least 15 minutes before putting them back in.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
There is only one standard recommended Xalatan dose, regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Xalatan Dosage for more information.)