Glaucoma Home > Xalatan Dosage
The usual recommended Xalatan dosage for treating high eye pressure or glaucoma is one drop into the affected eye (or eyes) once daily in the evening. Avoid touching the tip of the bottle to anything, including your eye, hands, or any surfaces. To ensure safe treatment, Xalatan dosing guidelines must be followed carefully. Using the drug more than once daily can make it less effective.
There is only one standard dosage for Xalatan® (latanoprost ophthalmic solution), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your Xalatan dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Xalatan dose for treating glaucoma or high eye pressure (ocular hypertension) is one drop into the affected eye(s) once daily in the evening. Interestingly, using Xalatan more frequently than once a day actually makes it less effective.
Some considerations for people taking Xalatan include the following:
- Xalatan come as a solution, which means that it does not need to be shaken before use. It is usually taken once a day in the evening.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before using Xalatan.
- Gently pull your lower eyelid down with a finger (most people find that their middle fingers work best) to create a small pocket. Without actually touching the dropper to the eye, squeeze the bottle to place one drop into the lower eyelid.
- Alternatively, you can contact the manufacturer for Xal-Ease™, a free eye drop applicator device that can help you administer the drops more easily (ask your healthcare provider how to get Xal-Ease or visit the Web site for Xalatan for more information).
- If you use other eye drops, make sure to separate Xalatan and your other eye drops by at least five minutes.
- Keep the bottle free of contamination by avoiding touching the tip to anything, including your eye, hands, or any surfaces.
- If you wear contacts, remove them before using Xalatan and wait at least 15 minutes before putting them back in.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Xalatan will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Xalatan dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.