- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop. It is used in the affected eye(s) three times daily.
- If you use other eye drops in addition to Alphagan, make sure to wait at least five minutes between using Alphagan and the other eye medication.
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye or the skin.
- For original Alphagan, you must remove soft contact lenses before using the eye drops and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting them, as the preservative can bind to the lenses. This is not a problem with Alphagan P.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
Dosing InformationThere is only one standard dosage for this medication, regardless of the severity of your eye condition. As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Alphagan Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of AlphaganAs with any medicine, this eye drop can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the drug will experience side effects. Most people tolerate it quite well.
If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
In clinical studies, the most common side effects of this medication included:
- Dry mouth
- Eye redness
- Burning and stinging
(Click Alphagan Side Effects or Alphagan P Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)